Thursday, June 21, 2012

Uganda

John 15:9-12 "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in My love. When you obey My commandments, you remain in My love, just as I obey My Father's commandments and remain in His love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with My joy. Yes, your joy will overflow. This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you."

The moment we returned to Uganda was one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced. After being there for 2 weeks last year, I have a special attachment to it and the people there. Being back made me realize even more how much I had missed it. I missed the smell and atmostphere, the bright red dirt and the bright green trees. I am so thankful for God allowing me to return this year! He made our week in Uganda incredible.

Our first day in Uganda, we visited Rebecca Sorenson's My Father's House and Royal Hope Academy. The kids at Royal Hope Academy always give the warmest welcome, lining the dirt pathway and singing for the visitors. I can't even explain the happiness and warmth that it fills the heart with. We then got to watch them perform and worship with them. Having been away from them for a year, I forgot how AMAZING it is to worship with them. They worship so freely, and their hearts and minds are completely focused on the Lord. They realize what God has done for them, and they can't help but praise Him with all that they are. It is beautiful to be a part of, and completely changes the way you worship. Afterwards, we had the opportunity to play outside and hang out with the kids for the rest of the afternoon. One of my all-time favorite things is sitting in the red dirt, being covered in it from head to toe, with kids piled all around, listening to their voices and singing with them.

We spent the following 2 days with Pastor Samuel at Return Ministries. The first day we spent with about 200 kids from the community, singing with them, spending time with them, and feeding them. The kids got to skip school because of the special visit. It was amazing to see a community that knows that God is the most important thing, and puts Him first. The kids were all respectful and full of life. Pastor Samuel does a great job of showing the kids how valued they all are. That night, the team got to babysit Pastor Samuel's 2 young kids so that he and his wife could go on their first date in 5 years! Our second day with Return Ministries consisted of home visits all over the community. We visited the land that they hope to purchase and build a school on in the future. They have complete faith that God will provide, and never doubt His goodness. We prayed with them, trusting that God provides every single one of His children's needs. During the home visits, we had the joy of passing out food, toothbrushes, and toothpaste to many of the different children's families and praying with each one of them. It was so special being welcomed into their homes and seeing what a day in their lives looks like.

That night we drove to Canaan Children's Home, which is one of my favorite places on earth! It was one of the best feelings being recognized by all of my friends there from last year, and hearing about their lives over the past year. It was amazing being reunited. This year we had the opportunity to attend their church, which was new. The team broke up into the different age groups for Sunday school and then all met up for the main service after. Three of the other girls from the team and I got to be with the elementary kids. They painted coloring sheets, then took turns telling us about the different Bible stories and miracles God had performed. It was humbling and encouraging to see how well they all knew the Word (honestly even the 8 year-olds knew more about most of the stories than we did). At the main service, which is much longer than church here (about 3 itself), we started with praise and worship. Again, I was blown away by the beauty of the way they worship. The kids from Canaan and people from the community were all there. Pastor Isaac, who runs Canaan's and is the pastor of the church, spoke a great message, and then had the 3 guys from our team talk. None of them are pastors, but God spoke through each one of them an amazing message. I was especially proud of my dad! I've honestly never been so proud or impressed. God used him to speak to us of His faithfulness. He talked about Israel, and how God took care of them time and time again. He never let them down, whether it was splitting the Red Sea or providing them witht the food they needed. He reminded us that we should never worry or doubt Him, because He is always faithful and always provides. After his message, we got to pray with all of the members of the church. It was so powerful to get to pray for them individually. I saw and was reminded of the power and importance of prayer!

The next few days at Canaan's we got to see the kids perform, see the kids' school, and spend as much time with them as possible. I loved waking up to them all singing, and the preschoolers out starting their morning exercises (jumping jacks, leap frog, etc.). The kids wake up at 5 a.m. and do their chores, followed by school at 7. The length of the school day depends on the grade level; the older kids stay at school until 6:30 p.m. They are all so hardworking!  In the evenings we got to play games, take pictures, and do whatever the kids wanted to do. I love Canaan's and can't wait to return there someday!

While in Jinja, we also visited the Karamojong tribe, which was new from last year. They are a people group that migrated in to Jinja and live remote, simple lives. It was an honor to get to visit their village and see their different way of life. Many of the hundreds of kids we met had only single mothers and a large number of siblings. I loved getting to hold the kids and show them that they are all special and loved. One little boy in particular stuck out to me. He was probably barely old enough to walk and was naked, with parasites in his big tummy. It broke my heart, and I wish I could've taken him home with me and given him the care he needs. But I know that God will heal him and take even better care of him than I could.

We got home early this morning, and I already miss Uganda so much. I'm thankful for all of the people I know there, and praying for them constantly. God has revealed Himself and taught me so much in that country, and I love it dearly. Thank you to everyone who prayed for our journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment